Re: About to buy a 99 Dakota

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 02 1999 - 21:28:33 EST

At 09:14 PM 1/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a few questions for you current Dakota Owners out there.
>
>First allow me to introduce myself: The name is Ward, I live in the DC
>Metro Area and will soon be the proud owner of a Dakota Truck.

  Congratulations! :-)

>I am debating between the V6 or the 5.2 V8
>as well as the Painted or Chrome bumpers (Sport or SLT).

   As far as the bumpers go, that's mainly just a matter of personal
preference. Personally, I like the painted look better on the newer
body style. But some people have reported the paint flaking on the
painted bumpers.

   V6 vs V8 is no contest. ;-) The V8's gas mileage is not very
different from the V6, and when towing or hauling a load, it is
sometimes even better. (bigger engine doesn't have to work as hard)
   When I bought my '96 Dakota, it was less than $600 to get the V8;
it might be more now. It mostly depends on what you want to do with
the truck, but if you think you're going to kick yourself down the
road, get the V8 now. :-)

>The dealers keep trying to suggest the limited slip diff. option but I
>don't think its needed... oppinions?????

   I'd have to agree with the dealers here. The sure-grip is an
excellent option to have, especially if you go with the V8. It helps
a lot in the rain, and especially in the snow.

                                               -Jon-