Re: About to buy a 99 Dakota

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Sat Jan 02 1999 - 22:00:32 EST

Ward wrote:
I am debating between the V6 or the 5.2 V8
That depends on whether you want more acceleration or more gas mileage.
There is quite a lot to be gained in power with the V8 and only a little
gas mileage to loose. I don't think there is much if any difference in
durability between the two since they are made of the same parts with only
a difference in number of cylinders. I have read that many on the DML who
bought a V6 wished later that they had gone ahead and bought an 8. Also
there are some satisfied with their 6.

> as well as the Painted or Chrome bumpers (Sport or SLT). Your choice.
>
> The dealers keep trying to suggest the limited slip diff. option but I
> don't think its needed... oppinions????? With the 6 it is not as
> necessary except when roads ice over it makes a lot of difference in
> whether you get stuck or not. On the other hand with the 8 you are
> likely to have a traction problem on wet roads or even some dry ones.
> Many who didn't get one wished they had. There are 3 axel ratios
> available and there again its like the 6 vs 8 issue. A 3.25 will give a
> little better highway mileage but the 3.92 will give more accelleration.
> There is no difference in top speed because either will easily get you to
> the 115 mph speed limiter. The 3.92 will just get you there faster.
> Also if you intend to load your truck or pull a trailer you probably want
> the 8 and the 3.92 SG. Personally I am a performance buff and I owned a
> 98 sport with a 5.2 V8 and a 3.92 SG axel. I now own a 99 R/T with a 5.9
> V8 and a 3.92 SG.

Jim in Waco