Re: About to buy a 99 Dakota

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 11:46:35 EST

Hi Ward. I just received my Intense Blue CC 5.2 Dakota Sport last week.
In my opinion, the v8 is by far the better choice (especially since it's
free right now!!). As far as Sport vs. SLT, it's a matter of personal
preference. It also depends on what color you want. Certain colors
aren't available in one or the other, or just don't quite look right (the
Intense Blue I got doesn't--in my opinion--look very good with chrome, but
the dark Metallic Red looks better with chrome). The reason I chose a
Sport is because I'm going for the street truck look (actually, R/T look,
since the R/T isn't available with a manual :-( ). There's also the
monetary consideration. If you want few options, the Sport will end up
being cheaper, but if you want it loaded, the Sport costs MORE because of
the package savings on the SLT (my unfortunate fate).

As for the LSD (Limited-Slip Differential), I would recommend it. I've
been driving my truck this weekend through the Chicago blizzard (a 4x2
with 255 series tires and no weight in the bed, to boot), and my truck
just picks up and goes at green lights. I don't think I'd be so lucky
without it (especially given my v8/manual configuration). If you don't
get lousy weather, then you may not need it with the v6. However, I
believe the general consensus on the list is that you pretty much need it
with the v8.

David Gloff
Fun in the snow with my loaded '99 Intense Blue Dak Sport CC 318 5-speed
3.92SG