Re: Exhaust System Questions:

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 12:36:34 EST

In a message dated 1/4/99 10:21:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ryan_groth@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 I am rather new to exhaust system lingo. There are a couple questions
 I have. If I have things straight then the idea behind a modified
 exhaust is to get air out of the engine faster so that it can be taken
 in faster, thus increasing the air/fuel mixture ratio to a point that
 is more optimal for gas mileage, and torque. OK, to do this we replace
 the headers, the muffler and the tail pipe. OK. But there is this
 issue of the catalytic converter, isn't it a bottle neck? Is there a
 slang term for the catalytic converter ('cat'?) if so, does that imply
 that a cat-back system has something to do with it? When you put
 shorties on your truck do you also have to replace everything else in
 line to achieve any effect? Also doesn't the ECU still control the
 intake despite the modifications to the exhaust >>
Ryan, you seem to be doing pretty good if you ask me! Yeah, its a cat and yup
it is a bottle neck. If you ever have one off of the truck or any car look
down it. It looks like a Bee hive inside, its full of Honey Combs that trap
the exhaust and raise the temp of it to burn off excessive unused fuel. I
think that's right anyway, Im sure Ill be corrected if not! =0)
    Any mod to your intake or exhaust will help out greatly and in my opinion
they each are the first and best mods you can do. Yup, the computer still
controls the intake, that's why you need to disconnect it for those and most
any mod. That way it will reset itself.
Eric