Exhaust System Questions:

From: Ryan Groth (ryan_groth@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 10:19:10 EST

I am rather new to exhaust system lingo. There are a couple questions
I have. If I have things straight then the idea behind a modified
exhaust is to get air out of the engine faster so that it can be taken
in faster, thus increasing the air/fuel mixture ratio to a point that
is more optimal for gas milage, and torque. OK, to do this we replace
the headers, the muffler and the tail pipe. OK. But there is this
issue of the catalytic converter, isn't it a bottle neck? Is there a
slang term for the catalytic converter ('cat'?) if so, does that imply
that a cat-back system has something to do with it? When you put
shorties on your truck do you also have to replace everything else in
line to achieve any effect? Also doesn't the ECU still control the
intake despite the modifications to the exhaust?

Thanks
Ryan