Re: Fan Clutch Questions

From: binary/IIRG (binary@shoelace.digivill.net)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 13:14:39 EST

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 HKUSP40578@aol.com wrote:

> I own a 93 Dakota 4x4 Auto V6, no air, 98,000 miles. I was curious what
> exactly does the fan clutch do? When should the fan be turning? If I can
> remember correctly to the last time I replaced my belt, there was a
> pulley for the fan that the belt set on. So does this mean the fan is
> running constantly? My truck has never came remotely close to
> overheating, if this matters. Please help me understand this! I am
> thinking mine is locked up, and just want to learn more about the fan
> clutch. THANKS! Kyle

its a centrifical(sp?) clutch.. from what I understand is theres silicone
in it and when it reaches a certain temperature its supposed to lock and
the fan will spin faster then it would when it is slipping.. the way I
think my haynes manual said to check it is when the engine is off, spin
the fan by hand and if it rotates more then 1 1/2 turn its broken..

- nick

www.digivill.net/nicksdak