Re: Re: RE: Re: DML Reason for 3.55 to 3.90 swap.

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 15:37:09 EST

>The best advice that I have is to get a good transmission temp gauge... heat
>is the #1 killer of transmissions, and a rise in temp will tell you when the
>trans has started to slip, so you can take steps (out of OD & slow down in
>short term, add cooler long term) to cool it. If you're going to tow alot,
>especially in hilly areas & altitude, you should REALLY have one..

Not that Iīve gone looking for one, but I havenīt seen a tranny temp guage
anywhere. Sounds like a great idea though. Where on the tranny would you
mount the sensor?

>>Towing in OD will eventually hose your transmission and will happen sooner
>>if it hunts for gears. Nothing controversial about it. My guess is that
><snip>
>The other thing that happens when towing in OD is that when the RPMs are
>lower, the pump pressure is lower, Which can result in poor lubrication when
>you need it most. I have the 3.92's in my Ram with 32" tires, and can tow ~

I remember someone long ago (I think from the Ram list) said something
about a retrofit kit from TransGo for the A500 family (O/D) trannys that
added fluid tubes for better O/D lube. Anyone on the list installed one, or
know anything more about this? Is it still available?

Anything I can do to extend the life of this expensive beast I want to know
about.

Jim
ī93 4x4 CC V8