Re: Rattle under the Truck (Cat Converter)

From: HKUSP40578@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 17:26:35 EST

<< I have noticed a ratttled under my truck. I took a look under and saw two
 hangers that are supposed to be connected to my Flowmaster hanging freely. I
 thought this was the problemso I mcgyvered them so they wouldn't be touching
 the muffler. But it still makes the noise. I went to the exhaust shop were I
 got the Flowmaster installed and he said the cat was broken. He said take it
 to dealer under warranty. Well, I looked under my truck at the cat and I
 can't see anything wrong with it. I didn't get a chance to shake it, since
 it was too hot. Any ideas?
 Also, do you think the dealer will give me $hit about the Flowmaster and try
 and blame it on the exhaust shop? They never touched the cat, I was right
 there watching them the whole time. And, Should I go with a high flow cat or
 just another stock one? price difference?

The same thing happened on my 93 Dakota 4x4. The cat contains/resembles a
'honeycomb' and often an individual one will break off. The cat is covered for
50,000 miles so take it back. They cannot blame the Flow on this either, its
internal damage that is just part of wear and tear and an aftermarket muffler
cannot cause this. Unfortunately my cat was not under warranty went it started
to rattle, so I went with a high flow cat. But form what I have heard is that
the factory cats are a high flow unit. I would get it replaced ASAP cause I
waited awhile and a defective cat really kills gas mileage.
Kyle