Re. Iridium fog light installation

From: Steve Lambert (lamberts@sprynet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 21:12:17 EST

Roger,

<<Whereabouts are you located?>>

Kansas City America

<<Are those Pilot iridiums the ones that are part of a Dak kit and made
to fit
the factory locations? I got a set for Xmas but I won't install them until
the weather warms up a little. How hard was it to get the blanks off the
factory holes? Did you use a factory fog light switch? If so, does the
wiring attached to the back of the fog light switch blank actually go
anywhere?>>

No... these were generic 4" round lights. The Dodge factory lights are
apparently on semi-permanent backorder due to a switch availability
problem and I wasn't able to locate the "Dakota kit" version from Pilot.
The guy at the truck place assured me that a 4 1/8" hole saw was
absoutely essential to cut out the factory openings neatly. After looking
at the price of said saw (nearly as much as the light kit) I decided to
try an alternative. I used a small, wooden-handled wood-carving knife
which has about a 1" long by 1/4" in wide very rigid, very sharp blade. I
was able to cut slowly, neatly and carefully around the openings with a
sawing motion in and out without difficulty- about 5 minutes per hole.
The holes are perfectly round and look great. The lights mounted to the
available bracketry with about 30 minutes each worth of fiddling and
adjusting to get them aimed properly and centered perfectly in the holes.
And as for the wiring- the weather closed in on me before I got the
wiring hooked up... so the lights are physically there- but no 12V yet. I
plan to use the non-factory rocker switch and relay that came with the
lights- it looks to be pretty straight-forward. We'll see after we emerge
from the midwest deepfreeze!

Thanks for the welcome.

Steve
'99 Solar Yellow Sport