stipped lugs

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 21:52:35 EST

defect in the lugs or maybe the threading. but that makes 2 of us so i
don't
think it's a mistake...
- -Dester

   -My experience has been that it is usually the lug, stud, or crud on
them that causes the problem, although once in a while a bonehead will
screw them up.
  Chrysler lug nuts like to start losing their threads after they've
been on and off 5 or more times, until the threads wear so bad that if
you try to put them back on, it'll be for the last time. Certain
foreign cars get lots of studs and nuts replaced in my shop also.
Mostly Mazdas and Nissans and Isuzu trucks.
  It really is pretty tough to cross thread a lug nut if the stud is
clean and the nut is clean on the threads. But if the threads are worn,
look out! Then, a shop will bang 'em on with an impact and make it even
worse.
  If your truck has more than maybe 70K on it or you constantly have the
wheels on and off, invest in a good set of high quality lugs like
McGards, its worth 30 bucks.
  My .02 cents
Patrick