Re: *NON-DAK* Y2K

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 13:27:22 EST

At 03:19 AM 1/5/99 , you wrote:

>Is it just me or am I the only one who has realized that 2000 will NOT
>be the start of the new millenium? The new millenium doesn't start
>until 1-1-2001 right? Today I heard Peter Jennings refer to 2000 as the
>new mellenium! Someone tell me I'm right on this

You're right. There was no year zero, therefore the first year of the first
millennium was year one. 1+1000=1001+1000=2001 which is the first year of
the next millennium.

>I can't believe so
>many people are wrong...

Why not???? They were wrong about the Earth being flat. They were wrong
about the Earth being the center of the Universe. And they're wrong about
people being alone on this plan...oops, I'm not supposed to talk about
that. Anyway, when you combine the ease and convenience of a nice round
number (doesn't take as much mental effort) along with mass stupidity
(everyone on the DML excepted, of course) you wind up with most people
being wrong. We both know they're all wrong but they're going to insist on
celebrating the new millennium at the end of this year anyway, so let's
just kick back and enjoy all the parties before the world ends when all the
microwaves go wacky at the start of next year. :-)

Mike (Man in Black) Crumley

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail,net

The more you observe politics, the more you've
got to admit thateach party is worse than the other.
--Will Rogers