Datsun: A foul wind

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 16:21:19 EST

According to today´s Wall Street Journal, Daimler-Chrysler is in talks with
Nissan.

>Monday, Thomas T. Stallkamp, president of DaimlerChrysler Corp.,
>the concern's U.S. entity, said, "We're still talking" with Nissan.

It´s unclear whether the talks concern buying the whole company, or just
the Nissan Diesel truck unit. Nissan has officially piled up some 22
billion dollars in debt, and fuzzy Japanese accounting rules make it
difficult to determine if that figure represents the true financial
picture. Nissan is praised as having a good market presence in emerging
markets in Asia, as well as good technical capabilities.

Other suitors mentioned include France´s Renault.

Thought you guys would like to know, before you start seeing gang bangers
in their Nissan Sentras, with stolen Mercedes stars on them. OTOH, if they
brought back the 240Z, it´d be alright with me. [I thought it was pretty
cool that they started a factory remanufacturing unit for Z-cars.]

Jim
´93 4x4 CC V8