Re: RE: DaimlerChrysler takeover site

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 17:33:04 EST

>>IB4m sure they also know IB4ll never make enough money to buy a 500SL, so
>>they really ought to give me one so I can advertise for them. I might even
>>get vanity plates saying DC 4EVR, or something better that I havenB4t
>>thought of yet. I would certainly get license plate frames: On the Dak, one
>>that reads "My other car is a Mercedes"; and on the 500SL "My other car is
>>a Dodge truck". >>
>
>Ok, this is my last comment on this. I have a neighbor that has a loaded SLT
>4BY4 Ram that has a sticker in his backlight that is of Calvin relieving
>himself on a Benz symbol! God I love it! And yes I asked him if he works for
>CC and he said no. He grew up with a sworn Mopar nut for a father that always
>bought American, but now refuses to buy another DC vehicle since profits go to
>Germany! His words and his perogative! Neither of which I will argue!

    That's an interesting point; since the merger, I've often wondered
how much this will play into people's thinking. There is a large segment
of the consumer base that has the "buy American" philosophy. Now that
CC is no longer an American company, will they go to Ford and Chevy?

   The way I see it, this has the potential of backfiring on DC...
The people who normally buy American won't buy DC products, and
the people who normally buy imports because they are "superior",
probably won't buy Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, etc. either because
they're still built in the US. (and Canada, and Mexico...) Former
CC products are now not so very different from Hondas that are built
in the US.

   My Dakota was my first honest-to-goodness American designed and
built vehicle. My last 2 vehicles were a Mitsubishi badged
Diamond-Star and a Dodge Colt with a Mitsubishi engine. (Before
that, and Izuzu and a VW) My Dak is all 'merican, and I was pretty
proud of that. Now, they take that away from me too. :-)

  Oh well; at least they're still being built over here, so even if
the profits go overseas, at least some American workers will get paid
to build my Mopar...

  Now, DC... How about a good ol' fashioned RWD 300+HP musclecar? :-)

                                              -Jon-