Re: Amp wiring

From: chris tesinsky (ace_0069@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 18:59:03 EST

>From: Dester243@aol.com
>Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:29:33 EST
>To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>Subject: Re: DML: Amp wiring
>
>Hmm. on mine. i got the terminal where you can "plug" in a power wire
and
>still have the original batter terminal clamp on on top of it..
>then
>fused it about 8 inches from the battery. ran the wire thru the fire
wall.
>there is a slit of plastic on the right side.. cut a slit in that and
ran the
>wire inside, around stuff. under the dash.. blah blah. and routed it
to the
>amp..
>that's all. ground it right where the nut that keeps the seat down is.
it's
>a good place to ground. don't run a ground wire from the battery to
the amp.
>that's not good for the alternator..
>-Dester
>PS. should have bought a friggin mtx thunderform.....
>better, cheaper, boom

I would have to disagree with you on the line that says do not run a
wire from the negative of the battery...the engineers at PPI say and I
quote "If your grand total current is over 50 amps (or total output
power is over 300 watts), you should run a ground wire beside your power
wire from the battery to the amplifier(s) in addition to your regular
ground wire. Keep the ground and power wires as close together as
possible, and use the same gauge wire for both. This will ensure that
you have a good ground path, and may eliminate such potential problems
as engine noise and overheated amplifiers." I would agree with this
because I wired my system like this and there is not even the slightest
whine or hum at volume level 1. I do not understand why you feel this
will harm your alternator, as grounding your amp to the chassis is a
longer and more resistive way of getting to your battery. If you really
want to know what is not good for an alternator is a deep cycle battery
such as an Optima. It puts too much of a load on your alternator.

Chris Tesinsky
99' Solar Yellow R/T CC