Crutchfield (was: Interior Q's on a 98 Dakota SLT!)

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 20:41:57 EST

>I know there is an adapter where you can use the orginal Infinity amp and
>speakers, and then change your deck to whatever you want. As far as I know
>Crutchfield might carry this harness for the Dakota.

Maybe I pay a bit more, but Iīve bought a lot of stuff from Crutchfield. If
you donīt want a high school kid losing screws in your dash, and are
competent with a soldering iron, itīs pretty much the way to go. They have
harness adapters for almost every make of car, and trim adapters too. Same
quality adapters youīll find at better car stereo installation shops, and
Crutchfield generally throws them in for free.

And their return policy is great. I just returned a Kenwood front end
because I kept hitting the silly Audio control while I was trying to turn
up the volume (once Audio was engaged, the volume rocker turns into the
Bass control). That was fine with them. I ordered a replacement one, and
shipping the old one back - free - shipping the replacement to me - free!

They sent one adapter with just bare wires for the Kenwood. They have a
different adapter for Blaupunkts, which ends in bullet-type connectors the
Germans still use. The Master Sheet for the Dakota also mentioned an
(extra-cost) adapter for Dakotas with the powered-speaker Infinity system,
and another for using the stock harness if your front end (or amp) puts out
more than five watts, but you have the common-ground wiring harness.

I also bought speakers from them, and they came with the weird plugs to
mate with the stock harness. Installation is then first-class, and a cinch
to return to stock.

Jim
ī93 4x4 CC V8