RE: DML Y2K

From: Sawyer, Travis (tsawyer@northc.com)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 07:06:18 EST

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:54:39 -0600
From: Mike Crumley <mcrumley@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: DML: RE:DML Y2K (non-Dak)

At 10:14 AM 1/6/99 , you wrote:

<SNIP>
> Instead, we have some folks who think they know math telling us that
"Year
>1" was the start and therefore 2001 is the new millenium. Excuse me,
they're
>saying that we went from 1 BC to 1 AD overnight at some time in the
past? No
>year zero? What kind of math is that?

>It's not math, it's time keeping. It's the same kind of "math" that
goes
>from 12:59 to 1:00. What, no hour zero?? When somebody asks you to
count
>to ten, do you start with zero?

Wait GD MINUTE! (sorry had to ;) I start counting from zero. I'm a
computer
engineer (I thought everyone counted this way ;)

Wait Another GD MINUTE! There is an hour zero. If we're going to be
talking
GMT why don't we use a standard clock. 24 hour time. Military time if
you will.
00:00:00 is exactly the start of the day. 23:59:59 is 1 second away
from the
start of the next day.

I don't care when the new millenium is. I can get drunk anytime I want,
it
doesn't have to be a new year for me!

Which brings me to this: If someone asks "a penny for your thoughts"
and you put
your $0.02 in, where does the other penny go?

-Sergeant by Weekend Computer Engineer by Day - travis
'97 Sport+ V8 4x4