Re: DML Digest V4 #138

From: Steve Lambert (lamberts@sprynet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 23:36:43 EST

>Every car contains drag
>somewhere.... I will just have to try a few things little by little....
>Gee if I had a tunnel, boy I would spend days in there with my truck,
>hahahaha.... What I would love to do is make it handle better on a road
>course as well..... May I ask what the majority of you use for lids,
>and the wallet crunching price????

Jason,

I have a friend at the highest level of engineering in F*rd who's been
involved in their electric Ranger project: 2000 lbs. of hi-tech batteries
costing nearly $40,000 with a range of less than 60 miles. Needless to
say they've explored EVERYTHING imaginable in examining drag,
aerodynamics, etc. in an effort to improve the truck's range. They've
looked at net tailgates, open tailgates, no tailgate at all. You name it-
they've tried it. He said their wind tunnel tests consistently showed
that a tonneau was the single most significant modification to improve
aerodynamics and mileage. I put on a TekStyle because it offered
attractive styling, 60 second removal for bed access when needed and cost
less than $240. It took only about 30 minutes to install and there are no
holes drilled in the vehicle. I'm well pleased.

Steve
'99 Solar Yellow Sport
'97 Suburban 4X4
'95 Miata Triple Black