Finally Got a Little Snow!

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 20:19:32 EST

Not much, but just enough to make it nice and greasy so I could test the
Kota on the street... I know you folks in the midwest are sick of it by
now, but we haven't gotten didly in the Boston area and I miss it!

Anyway, I've got a '98 4x4 with 31x10.5" tires and an open diff. so 2WD
traction was pretty much standard pickup truck fare. I.E. lot's of
slippin' and spinnin' trying to get going... The beacoupe torque of the V8
didn't help matters but I found the throttle sensitive enough that you
could ease on the power to get you moving on almost any grade. I wanted to
see how she'd do stock so I didn't put any weight in the back except for an
ARE cap on top (don't know how much that weighs).

What really impressed me was the breaking. I don't have 4 wheel ABS but
the Kota would out break a Ford Explorer with ABS... I know, I compared
them head to head tonight. Not exactly sure why that is but I suspect the
extra weight of the truck really makes those tires "dig in" when the nose
dives hitting the breaks...

Oh yeah, before you Cali guys start sayin' how nice it is out there again,
just remember that one day you'll be just another island off the Pacific
coast and Navada will be the *new* Cali ;-)

T.