Re: Any suggestions?

From: William Blount Arthur (m990198@nadn.navy.mil)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 20:45:46 EST

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Bob Tom wrote:

> What I had in mind was the BFG Comp T/A Drag Radial. It is
> a close relative of the BFG Comp T/A R1, the DOT-certified,
> street-legal road-race tire that has become so popular in SCCA.

Yeh, I have seen these, they look good. I might have to get some of
those.

> The recommendation that I've seen is to run the tallest tire
> that will fit under the car. Such a configuration offers
> more sidewall "wrap-up" while putting more rubber to the
> pavement. Their P275/60R15 is a tire with a 28-inch diameter
> and a tread width of 8.8 inches.

I think you can go too far with this. My tires are 275/60 on a 17 inch
rim. they are 30 inches tall, I measured with a yardstick. My buddy has
a hot rod stang with 4.10 gears and normally ran 26 inch BFG's on the
back. Well, he tried 28 inch tires and lost .4 sec. I guess it took out
too much gear. It is a balancing act really, because he didnt have that
much of a tracion problem before because his suspention was real good.

Oh, one more thing, I was just leafing through the magnum performance
catologue and the shackle sets are cheaper in there than in Jegs and
Summit, if anyone else is interested in getting them, they are around 60
bucks for Rams and 40 for Daks. Later

Bill
'97 SS/T