Re: Any suggestions?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 12:24:55 EST

What I had in mind was the BFG Comp T/A Drag Radial. It is
a close relative of the BFG Comp T/A R1, the DOT-certified,
street-legal road-race tire that has become so popular in SCCA.

Though related, the BFG Comp T/A Drag Radial was built for
maximum traction in a straight line; the casing design and
tread are optimized for getting as much power to the ground
as possible. This drag radial is actually designed for
street driving, but its soft compound won't deliver the
mileage or wear lift expected of a street radial. At normal
inflation pressure, the tire reacts like a typical radial
and its tread depth accommodates wet conditions although slower
speeds through the sluice are recommended.

The ideal combination for gains is to run the drag
radials on the rear and the Comp T/As (or equivalent) on
the fronts. At one time last year, BFG was the only company
to offer a drag radial; the others were bias-ply. That
might be changed by now.

The recommendation that I've seen is to run the tallest tire
that will fit under the car. Such a configuration offers
more sidewall "wrap-up" while putting more rubber to the
pavement. Their P275/60R15 is a tire with a 28-inch diameter
and a tread width of 8.8 inches.

Rough calculations for my Dakota (3.55 gears and stock Invictas
28.5") would mean that, with the above size drag radials, I would
be running the same as if I had approximately 3.7 gears.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the info. on the shackles.

Bob, Burlington.