Re: Oil pressure problems

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Sat Jan 09 1999 - 09:20:23 EST

What do you mean by "I could hear the engine working..." ??

If you truly had no oil pressure, I think that you would have siezed up
fairly quickly....A dry engine doesnt run for too long!

I had a similar problem a few years back and the oil pressure sending switch
was bad......

At 03:29 PM 1/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota, 2wd, 2 door, and only recently have I ever
>experienced a problem with it. Since Jan 04 1999 afternoon I noticed
>that the oil pressure gauge wasn't reading the usual indication (like
>almost all the way to the right), but instead about right in the middle
>of the gauge. (That morning it looked OK.) This morning jan 05 while
>starting it up and letting it idle to warm up, the pressure was still
>reading about half-way. Only when I got out on the highway and got up to
>about 45 MPH (it's cold and dangerous but I still gotta get to work) for
>a few miles out of town that the pressure went down to nothing.
>
>Panic doesn't begin to describe my anxiety. I get it turned around, got
>back home. A friend came over to examine it.
>
>I made a stop and put in 2 quarts of oil in my panic to make sure it had
>_something_ and got it home. My friend observed that in idle, I got some
>sort of oil pressure, but making the engine run like about 1800 RPMs,
>the oil pressure bottoms out. Idling again brought pressure back, and
>getting up to about 1800 RPMs (like making the engine do work or
>whatever) the oil pressure bottoms out.
>
>I got plenty of oil. The engine hasn't burned any since I got it. I have
>changed it many times.
>
>The strange thing is that I had NO bit of problem until after I took it
>to one Goodyear service place about 2 weeks ago to have new front tires
>put on it. I've been leary of them since seeing my mother take her car
>there for service, only to have some other repair "suddenly" come up.
>Not to badmouth all Goodyear service centers, just my paranoid view of
>the one where I live in NE Ohio.
>
>What could be the possible problems?
>- Crack in the block?
>- oil pump going bad?
>- something clogging the works?
>- seal or gasket needing replace?
>- need an Engine flush?
>- too much oil and cold weather giving me a false reading?
>- something else?
>
>The first time out on the road the pressure bottomed out, I knew it
>wasn't lying. I could hear the engine working as I carefully and slowly
>got it back. It still starts up OK, but I don't dare drive it. I don't
>know what to do!!!
>
>I need an answer right away, because I have no idea how much this will
>be and if I can afford it. It's been the only reliable transportation I
>got and I really can't afford anything like a $500 job. I look forward
>to any help you can provide, hopefully emailed directly to me.
>
>"Read this very carefully, for I shall type this only once!"
>"There would be little point in typing it twice!!" - 'Allo 'Allo

"M ove O ver, P ickup A pproacing R apidly!"
1992 Dakota 4x4, Standard cab, short bed, 5.2 L V8, K&N, Gibson/Dynomax
exhaust,Power Puleys, MP SBEC, 180 degree thermostat, Bushwhackers,
tire/wheel package, Lund Moonvisor & Interceptor, Custom Cover tonneau,
Bundy rear bumper, chrome grillguard/pushbar

see http://www.usaor.net/users/zavetsky for pictures!

MOPAR or NOCAR!