Re: My 1st 4WD Adventure

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Jan 10 1999 - 12:17:19 EST

<<After the niners shanked one to the Falcons, and not getting much
sympathy from my Georgia Peach of a wife>>

Still the best game of the day! The Fins got ground into cat food by the
Broncos ;~)

<<At least I thought I did. I didn't feel the need to put it into 4H until I
started spinning my stock Goodyear 31x10.5 RT/S's up a hill climb, so I shifted
(effortlessly and silently, I might add) into 4H and just motored on up the
hill.>>

Yep, our looooong wheel base is great for hill climbs.

<<It started getting kind of muddy, so I thought I'd try out 4L. Man...what
a clang! I did it according to the manual, as best I could, shifting
into neutral, then a fluid motion from 4H to 4L, but I guess that's what
it's supposed to sound like.>>

Nope. It sounds like the drivetrain was still loaded when you tried to get it
into 4L. Next time you get a chance, just try shifting it into 4L when you are
not 4 wheeling (don't drive anywhere, just try shifting it)... Like in your
driveway or something. You shouldn't hear any noise.

<<No detectable wheelspin, but fairly high RPMs.>>

Hmmmmm. How fast were you going in 4L? Conditions will dictate, but 4L should
really only be used for really low speed crawling (RPM barely reaching 1-2K).
IMHO, of course!

<<When I got to the top of the hill, there were three guys hanging out on an old
International Scout with big ol' tires, taking pictures, when they all looked at
me. I pulled over and chatted for a minute. They were surprised to see a stock
Dak there, because that was a blue trail. Wow...that had me beaming! Didn't
seem very difficult to me. The Dakota just felt like it belonged there.>>

Heeheehee I know the feeling!

<<Later on up the same trail, I noticed two guys jumping up and down on
the back bumper of a relatively stock looking CJ Jeep. I guess it had
gotten stuck on a rock in it's midsection and all four wheels were
spinning. I asked if they needed help, and they just waved me off.>>

Pride makes people do stupid things ;-) Let 'em stay stuck!

<<I even tested the front skid plate (oops). Sure am glad I opted for them.>>

I don't even remember doing it, but when I last change my oil there was a huge
gash in my front plate! Best money I ever spent!!

<<What a blast. I can't wait to go back.>>

There is nothing quiet like the kick you get out of 4 wheeling. With my old
Jeep I didn't worry, but at $23k+ I haven't done anything too crazy in my
Kota... yet!

Congrats Dave! You clearly had a great time!!

T.