Re: My 1st 4WD Adventure

From: Mitzi & David Fishman (fish@ihot.com)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 00:44:52 EST

>>From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu

>><<It started getting kind of muddy, so I thought I'd try out 4L.
Man...what
>>a clang!

>>Nope. It sounds like the drivetrain was still loaded when you tried
to get it
>>into 4L. Next time you get a chance, just try shifting it into 4L
when you are
>>not 4 wheeling (don't drive anywhere, just try shifting it)... Like
in your
>>driveway or something. You shouldn't hear any noise.

You're right! I just checked it in the driveway, and it's a smooth
shift all the way from 2H to 4L. I was either going too fast or
something. I think the manual sez 2-3 mph.

<<No detectable wheelspin, but fairly high RPMs.>>

>>Hmmmmm. How fast were you going in 4L? Conditions will dictate, but
4L should
>>really only be used for really low speed crawling (RPM barely reaching
1-2K).
>>IMHO, of course!

I was probably going 5-10 mph up the hill. By "high RPMs", I mean in
the order of 3500 or so. I didn't think I was going too fast. Maybe I
was just paranoid that if I didn't go forward fast enough that I'd start
slipping back down the hill. 1K RPM is just off idle...is that right?

>>There is nothing quiet like the kick you get out of 4 wheeling. With
my old
>>Jeep I didn't worry, but at $23k+ I haven't done anything too crazy in
my
>>Kota... yet!

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that as I was leaving Hollister Hills,
there was a really smashed up jeep pulled by an old Bronco. Turns out
the guy stalled while crossing a hill and rolled it three times before
hitting a tree. Reminded me that four-wheeling is at least 50% smarts
and 50% equipment.

>>Congrats Dave! You clearly had a great time!!

Absolutely! Now that I feel somewhat comfortable with the whole 4WD
thing, I'm ready to go find a remote fishing spot and travel some "real"
fireroads and dirt trails. Maybe in the spring if I can get a hall pass
:-).

Cheers,
fish
99 CC SLT+ 5.2 4x4