Re: Blackstone

From: bnich@bellatlantic.net
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 17:08:16 EST

Martin wrote:

> DML,
> Some was asking jon about blackstone results. I did my first
> oil and filter change @ 2700 miles. The first change was just oil and no
>
> filter change @ 1500 miles. I expected the metals to be high.
>
> sample average
> aluminum 2 9
> chromium 1 4
> iron 32 69
> copper 70 29
> lead 66* 178
> tin 13* 4
> molybdenum 25 29
> nickel 1 1
> manganese 5 14
> silver 0 0
> titanium 0 0
> vanadium 0 0
> boron 73* 22
> silicon 82* 27
> sodium 5 76
> calcium 779 1144
> magnesium 907* 608
> phosphorus 824 1044
> zinc 1046 1187
> barium 1 1
>
> *=higher than average
>
> Comments from blackstone.
> The high silicon is due to gaskets and sealers in the build-up.
> Wear-in normally causes high upper end metals.
> We found high lower end metals in your sample.
> Check back two or three more oil changes.
>
> --
> Martin Tolentino
>
> 99 Dakota R/T CC

I just sent a sample out. I have 22,000 on my 98. All oil changes were
with filters. The following milages aren't exact, but are in the ball
park 1st change 6800, 2nd 9800 3rd 14,000 4th 20,000. It'll be
intresting to see what Blackstone says. I've always heard change the oil
every 3-4000, but the owners manual says every 7500 ? Whats everyone
else doing? Bob