HEADER SURVEY RESULTS

From: David Fishman (fish@chips.Eng.Sun.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 14:32:37 EST

Here are the results to the DML header survey. 14 responses were
received. My two-cent analysis of the results are that most people
had very positive experiences with their headers, with solid perf gains
and positive powerband improvements. Driveability was either better or
unchanged. Few problems were encountered after the install, although
most people said that installation sucked. All but one guy said they
would install headers again. The one that would not do it again said
it was a total waste of money with zero gains in perf or mileage. Most
notable was that half of the respondants who would do it again, would do
it with non-JBA headers (Leach/Mopar/Thorley).

General comments are excerpted at the end for your enjoyment.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to the survey.

Cheers,
fish
'99 CC SLT+ 5.2 4x4

-What sort of performance gains have you noticed?

Good - 71.4% (several stated a .2 reduction in 1/4 mi time)
Some - 7.1%
None - 21.4%

-How did the powerband change? (more highend or lowend?)

All ranges - 35.7%
Low/mid - 21.4%
Highend - 14.3%
No change - 28.6%

-How did it affect day-to-day driveability?

Better - 42.9%
No change - 42.9%
Fine - 14.3% (is that "better" or "no change"...i dunno)

-Any problems (other than installation-related)?

None - 64.3%
Clearance issues - 14.3%
Heat - 14.3%
Leaks - 7.1%

-Would you do it again?

Yes, but with non-JBA shorties - 50.0%
Yes (no qualifiers) - 42.9%
No - 7.1%

Selected General Comments:

-I would look into getting a set of hex bolts to make
 it easier to tighten down. (wrench-header tube clearence = zero)

-Lowend definitely improved. highend, WOW!

-Made the throttle more responsive without being touchy. If you do not put
 your foot into it there is no difference from stock. If you start pushing,
 then you can feel that there is more there than there used to be.

-I didn't really notice any gains until I changed out the restrictive
 Y pipe. I put on the headers and didn't really notice much (if any)
 reductions in my ET's at the track. (Ran 14.90s) Then I installed a
 better Y pipe and removed my cat at the same time and ran a 14.80 the
 next week. With that same configuration, I have run a best of 14.58
 to date, but unfortunately, I don't know what parts were responsibe
 for the gains (cat, y pipe, or headers) Of course, weather plays
 a big part too... Unfortunately, I don't have access to a dyno so
 all I can go by is seat-of-the-pants and dragstrip times.

-Low end torque was good before, and after it got even better.
 Midrange (2500-3800 rpm) was greatly improved... 3rd gear is my
 2nd favorite gear, 4th is my favorite...

-I have installed my JBA ceramic coated headers about 3 months ago. What a
 waste of money!!! I have no actual dyno results but from where I sit I
 haven't felt a damn bit of improvment at all. Acceleration is the same,
 mileage is the same. The only thing I did get is a problem. The y pipe
 where it connects to the header on the passenger side is vibrating against
 the frame on acceleration and it is a hideous noise. I'm still not sure how
 to fix that one. Well hope this helps.

-I'd move the headers further down the list. The dyno results Jim Bell
 told me that I would get 0-5 hp gain. I would probably go with the tri-y
 design ie MOPAR headers.

-Actual dyno numbers are as follows:
 before headers: After headers:
 209.4hp 259.9ft/lbs. 227.1hp 287.6ft/lbs.

-The heat is not a problem with the plain headers, but the coating gives
 me a lot of peace of mind and the lower temps are better in the long run
 for wires and plastics under the hood. And the coating looks GREAT!