RE: Oil Changes - [was Blackstone]

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gsc.gte.com)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 14:43:52 EST

Hello Peter,
     In a nut shell; yes, that is correct. The synthetic oils do not break
down like the fossil oils do, what happens is it becomes contaminated with
all the combustion impurities. If you could filter all these impurities,
you could probably run 100Kmi. between oil changes (maybe longer).
Especially with the synthetics, the compounds developed and blended into
these lubricants will provide far greater protection and durability that any
regular fossil oil. The properties of these oils are exceptional.
     Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with fossil oils. I prefer
the added protection the synthetic provides. I am also taking advantage of
this extended protection through extending the maintenance schedule as well.
In the end, the cost is probably about the same, but the protection is not.
     I researched numerous articles before deciding on the path I choose. I
have an excellent article on synthetics I was going to sent along for you to
read, but I cannot locate it at the moment. I don't remember whom it was
received from, but if I can find it, I will post it for your reading. It
was written by a chemist. Take a look on the web at the various articles
written on synthetic oils. This may also help you in determining your own
conclusion. I hope this helps a little.
Rich - Ashburn, VA

PS. I should make one other clarification on what I stated below in case it
was confusing. I change the filter at every 5Kmi. interval, and both the
oil and filter at every 10Kmi. interval. Two filters to every one oil
change.