Re: RE:DML Synthetics in NV3500

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 23:17:46 EST

I can back this statement up a bit .

I used to have an '86 Shelby Charger with the 5-speed .

At about 100k the tranny locked completely up , at 80 miles an hour , no
less , and preety much acted like a grenade .

I looked around at Atlanta area wrecking yards for a used one because
Chrysler wanted some un-Godly amount for a new one . I kept wondering why
it was so hard to find another one , I mean , they made a fair amount of
these cars .

Well , it turned out that up through the 1986 model year (just my luck)
they had used Dextron as the fluid of choice from the factory and it was
the recommended fluid for changes . Yes , that's right , thin as hell
auto-fluid in a manual gearbox . I suspect that they did this because they
needed something thin enough to flow between not only the tranny , but the
drive gears as well or something like that .

Well , it turns out that in 1987 they started using non-detergent 5w-30
motor oil in the same exact transmission . Yes , still thin , but much
thicker than auto fluid .

I ended up finding a used tranny for my car about 120 miles away in a
wrecking yard . Not that I wanted one with fewer miles , but it was the
ONLY one in the whole of North GA and Eastern Alabama !!

A side note : I will never EVER in my life attempt a transmission swap in a
front-wheel drive behicle , much less a manual . Anyone here ever tried
ligning up the clutch and all that junk with about 3 inches of space to
work with ? Trust me , it blows !

Just my experiences .

At 04:40 PM 1/12/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Um, yes, sometimes you do know more than they do.
>
> Remember, these are the same "engineers" that put 10W30 motor oil in the
>Getrag Transmissions on the '90 Cummins Turbo Diesel Ram's and watched them
>vaporize every 40,000 miles to the point that there are NO MORE PARTS for
this
>transmission in this country.

Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net