Re: Snugtop cab high

From: Tony Mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 12:11:31 EST

>Does any body else have a Snug top cab high shell on a 97 or newer?
>When I installed mine it actually dropped my gas mileage by 2 mpg.
>Reason for this is the fact that the shell is actually 1" to tall due to the
>cab rear being rolled down for smoother air flow, causing the shell to act
>as a wind brake. I kept my sliding window in the truck and got a fixed
>window on the shell for security reasons. If I'm driving down the road at 60
>mph and open the rear window I get a blast of air with the side windows down
>that will remove your hat.
>I contacted snugtop to no avail. I would like to seal the shell but then it
>would rub on the rear of the DAK. And that won't fly with me.
>
>Robert Miller
>97 DAK CC 318 3.92SG

Well, I have a SnugTop Hi liner which is about 4+ inches higher than the
cab on my 97 std cab 4x4 and when I put it on I noted about a 1-2 mpg or so
improvement in mpg. Now thats pretty hard to tell, 1-2 mpg, but I'm pretty
religious about keeping track of my mpg. This is only for highway of
course, theres not much aerodynamic advantage in city driving.