Re: RE: Remote Oil Filter

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 13:20:47 EST

Alan said:
>I think that's a great idea. I hate the location of the filter plus I want
>the ability to use a filter with more capacity. I want a remote filter

Almost all the kits allow you to use Fram PH-8 (nearly quart capacity)
filters. Personally, Iīve been really happy with the NAPA Gold (Wix)
filters, and I might even stay with the smaller canister.

>adapter with AN fittings and steel braids. I'm about to put one together for
>my other car since I'm installing an oil cooler. The kits with rubber hoses
>and brass/steel fittings should suffice but I like the reliability of AN
>fittings and steel braids.

I agree. I havenīt figured out where to put it yet, but itīs not going to
be on the frame directly across from the current filter location. I was
thinking of a bit further forward, like on the frame above the front axle
tube (but a bit in front or behind). That means the hoses that come with
one of these kits wonīt go the whole distance. I have some 1/2 inch
stainless AN tubing, which is what I would prefer to use for the rigid
parts. And Iīd like to have Purosil silicone hose for itīs flexibility and
high temperature durability. I want the system to drain downhill to the
remote mount, too. That might mean a mounting to the rear, where the frame
drops down, would work better.

Oh, and I was planning for plenty of scope (slack in a line) to clear
headers (future item) and allow for torque reaction. I may even set up the
frame anchor to be a tear-away in the event of an engine mount failure
[tough to limp home without engine oil].

So. Has anyone bought the TD system? It looks like just neoprene hose with
brass nipple hose ends. Iīm also considering Earlīs Performance, which does
use AN fittings.

Jim
ī93 4x4 CC V8