power tailgate lock

From: Martin (martindt@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 05:30:41 EST

been discontinued or something and only had the '97 plus. :-P
So I bought a $7 lock solenoid and I'm going to make my own... A bit
more work, but it'll be about 10 times cheaper. (Once I get around to
doing this project, I'll do a writeup on it so anyone else can do
the same.)

   Do you really need a torx to remove the tailgate? On my '96
you just disconnect the cables, tilt the tailgate to about 45
degrees, then lift the right side and slide out the left. (You
do need a phillips head screwdriver to remove the plate on the inside
in order to unplug from the wiring harness.) Did they replace the
phillips screws with torx heads?

Jon,
     I wasn't clear on the tailgate. Removal of the internal latching
assembly is held on by two
T-45 Torx. Three T-40's for the latch release handle. The tailgate stays
on during the soilnoid installation. BTW I contacted Steadfast and
informed them that the power tailgate lock mechanism
didn't fit. Steadfast is sending out another one for an exchange.

--
Martin Tolentino

99 Dakota R/T CC