Re: MP Comp on 87 or 89 Octane

From: Sam Parthemer (maverick_nr552@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 16:52:55 EST

I agree with everything below. But want to add, that during the
winter months here in CA. back in '95 I would have to run 89 octane or
higher to avoid the pinging (under WOT conditions). I discovered too
that I got crummier gas mileage in the winter months. Turns out this
was the time they ran oxygenated fuels. AKA LEANER fuel. This might be
the situation you are dealing with. Not a problem with the Dakota, but
with the fuel source. My '86 mitsubishi PU was the exact same way.

Sam '95 SLT

>Unless you have some kind of mod/mods on your truck that would
facilitate
>the use of 93 octane fuel , the owners manual clearly states that only
87
>octane is required .
>
>Like myself , others have noticed light pinging under WOT during hot
>weather while using 87 octane . Some have been told by the dealer that
they
>need to just go up to 93 octane . This is not an acceptable answer from
>anyone to me . You can't put it in writing that a truck only needs 87
>octane and then just say to use 93 octane because there is a problem .
It's