Re: MPG was: Synthetic oils

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 19:05:37 EST

I'll make you feel better.. (maybe) I get about 14 mpg on a good day,
and
probably average closer to 13.5- but then again, I'm driving a 5200Lb
Ram
1500 QC 4x4 Auto.

The sticks get better mileage... (I know, my last Ram was a stick, and
got
as high as 19mpg)
What I have against me (and I know you share a couple of these, at
least):
4x4 (more weight, and more rotating mass (front axle, bigger tires))
Auto (parasitic drag... significantly more than stick)
CC (again, more weight)
Aerodynamics of a brick (ok, we all have this..)
altitude (I'm at 6000-7000 ft above sea level- this hurts power, which
requires more throttle)
terrain (I drive a hilly, winding mountain road every day on my commute)

what I have in my favor:
cool truck that I like to drive
better view of traffic from my altitude
peace of mind that if some @$$|-|()! passes when they shouldn't have on
that
hilly, winding mountain road, I'll win!

personally, it bothers me more to hear about some of the Ram 2500
Cummins
owners- they've got more weight (5800-6000Lbs), but they get as much as
20mpg unloaded!

Gary Shook

---
Only 20mpg with a Cummins?  My brother had a 96 5 speed CC Cummins and
it would get 27-29 empty and about 20 pulling our 34 ft trailer and 83
Regal...about 7,500 lbs total.  He got rid of it for a 97 4x4 Cummins CC
with the Auto tranny and it only gets about 20 empty and 13 pulling the
trailer.  The manual trucks have different Cummins engines in them.
They are rated higher in HP and torque.