Re: Sqeeeeak...

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 1999 - 03:38:26 EST

>Do I have a torsion bar? How would I check it if I do have one?

Hi Mike-
        Iīd be willing to bet your rear leaf springs have dropped the
little plastic wedgies that keep them quiet. Mine fell out pretty early on
(offroading is not friendly to a lot of things). The only real fix is to
have the spring pack taken apart, and get new ones put in (there are holes
drilled in the leaf ends to hold onto them). A quick fix (and diagnosis) is
to spray the springs with WD-40. Better is to jack up the truck so the axle
is hanging (leaf springs relaxed), and use a rag to work some chassis
grease between the leafs. Itīll work itīs way out in a short while. Moly
grease lasts a bit longer.

        Old British limousines used to have leather bags around the leaf
springs, and the insides packed with grease.

Jim
ī93 (Absolutely the best year ever) 4x4 CC V8