Re: DML:Crank position sensor.Attn: Frank, Jules

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 1999 - 03:54:19 EST

>The only problem I can see would be the computer looking at the relation of
>the crank sensor and the cam (or dist) sensor. But if the computer were
>tricked to think the No1 piston were at TDC, but really it was 10 degrees
>before, or after, I wonder when it would send a signal to the injectors? Does
>the injector firing have a relation with the crank sensor, or just the cam
>sensor? If you turned the dist to compensate for moving the crank sensor,

I´m pretty certain the injector timing is based on the crank sensor. At
least on the older (´93) SBEC, there is NO distributor sensor. The
distributor is just there to distribute sparks. Unless the dist. is way out
of sync (you´ll be burning cap contacts), the engine´s timing can be
adjusted quite a bit.

It occurred to me that you could make a dash-controlled injector/spark
timing adjustment by mounting the crank sensor on a linear stepper motor. I
think this would only be of benefit if you had longer than normal duration
cams, or were running nitrous.

Jim
´93 4x4 CC V8