Re: Rocker Arm Change

From: Tim (magnum318@bewellnet.com)
Date: Sat Jan 16 1999 - 01:20:08 EST

From:Tim Roller>magnum318@bewellnet.com

>>Thanks Christopher--I wonder how you got ahold of me, because I haven't
used the "starwolf" URL in over a year. Anyway I knew that 1.7's were the
hottest ratios for our valvetrain that could be gotten, what I was asking
was if any body tried the useing of 1.6s and 1.7s in combination to
make-lets say a supercharger work with our computered engines better. I know
that changing the super's pulley changes the boost ratios, but everybody
seems to have this idea that running 8(whater ever the stock boost is)is
correct and that changing out the injectors,boost retarders, and numerous
other EXPENSIVE items is the way to go, instead of just cutting the
superchargers boost maybe in half to a 3 or 4 lbs. would totally take care
of the problems of pinging, valve float,and other numerous problems
associated with s'charging. This of course wouldn't give the engine that
magic # of 350 or 400 horsepower that everybody seems to think they can
achieve without doing any internal mods for longevity or strength. By
cutting the chargers output somewhat, would in turn give everybody at least
50 to 75 horsepower,not destroy the engine due to lean conditions at top
end, can use high octane instead of going in to racing fuel, keep basically
stock engine components, and have drivability at all times for the street. I
guess I got off the subject--DUH, are our cams ASYM or SYMM types that we
can use ONLY ONE type of rocker ratios. This falls within the specs of using
bigger TB's,wilder cams and SBEC computers that advance the timing since
more fuel can go through the intakes with modified TBs. I guess in other
words, is it better to have more fuel going through the intakes, or is it
wiser to get rid of spent gases faster through the exhaust. Hence the
question, 1.7s on the intake or exhaust and leaving the 1.6s where they
are?? Or would this mess up the computer control or exhaust sensor with such
a combination?? Thanx