Re: 4X4 Light Switch

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Sun Jan 17 1999 - 10:14:23 EST

My 92's switch is located on thr passenger side on top of the lockout fork
assembly......Get under the truck and locate the pumpkin on the front
axle....Then, follow the axle tube to the passenger side.....You will see an
assembly that has a couple vacuum tubes and an electric wire going to it.....

The switch itself is screwed into the top of the assembly......

It is aplunger-type switch that makes/breaks contact depending on the
location of the engagement forks inside the assembly.....The forks
engage/disengage the passenger side hub and are activated by a vacuum swith
on the torque converter itself....

It may be that the forks arent engaging at all, thus resulting in a no-light
situation....or, the switch itself may be bad.......

I had the opposite problem once.....The vacuum tubes leading to the assemby
were melted due to underhood off-road induced heat......The result was that
the front end was "locked" into 4x4 mode and the light would not go out......

Good luck!

At 08:52 AM 1/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>My 4X4 works, but the light doesn't come on when it's engaged. The light is
>okay and I tried to located the contact switch under the shift assembly, but
>couldn't locate it. So what causes the 4X4 light to come on when engaged.
>I'm assuming that it needs some cleaning. It's a minor thing, but I'm picky.
>
>Regards,
>Bret
>94 Dak Sport 4X4

"M ove O ver, P ickup A pproacing R apidly!"
1992 Dakota 4x4, Standard cab, short bed, 5.2 L V8, K&N, Gibson/Dynomax
exhaust,Power Puleys, MP SBEC, 180 degree thermostat, Bushwhackers,
tire/wheel package, Lund Moonvisor & Interceptor, Custom Cover tonneau,
Bundy rear bumper, chrome grillguard/pushbar

see http://www.usaor.net/users/zavetsky for pictures!

MOPAR or NOCAR!