Re: header install

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 11:42:53 EST

Russ Kole wrote:

> Has anyone done a header install on a dakota r/t. It seams to be a
> bitch getting the headers out of the engine compartment . I havent
> tried yet but am worried that it will require removing a/c lines and
> electrical wires. any enlightenment is welcome from any body
>
> Thanks
>
> Russ 99 R/T with tach

        Russ, easiest install of headers I've ever done. 3 1/2 hrs start to
finish minus 3 welds. Pitfalls: Drivers side 02 sensor needs to have ALL
the slack gently pulled out of it. It's a good reach from the old
position to the new. Look at the bolt shanks protruding through the
passenger side, floorboard heat shield. Grind these down. Leave the
studs in the middle of the manifold area of the head, it'll help hold up
the headers while you thread the rest of the bolts. Run the nuts &
spacers up finger tight first. Old manifolds come out through the hood,
remove air box and battery. New headers go in, passenger from
underneath, driver from under hood. Passenger side can be a bear,
binding at the tranny pan, keep at it, it'll go. Last, assemble
EVERYTHING finger tight first. After installation, re-tighten ALL bolts
& nuts once a week, for 3 weeks, that way you won't have leaks. Whew,
Good Luck, Alan S.