Mounted a Maglite.....

From: HKUSP40578@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 00:26:56 EST

were to ever
need it. Well, its always been just laying in my overhead console, and has on
ocassion rolled off and cracked me, so I decided to mount it. I own a red
anodized 4-D cell Maglite, if that matters. Here is what I did:
     I decided that I needed to mount the Maglite in a very accessible area of
the cab, on that I could reach quickly and put back easily. I decided that
somewhere on the transmission hump(I have an auto) right next to the 4WD
lever. I ended up cutting a piece of 1/4"x 2" galvanized steel stock to a
length of about 10 inches. From this steel stock, I drilled 4 holes
in it, so that I could mount this steel bar on the 4WD 'bezel'. I slid the
steel stock onto the bezel lip and marked the holes, because the holes will be
offset. My owner's manual calls this the bezel, its basically the grey(in my
case) interior plastic housing that has a 1/2" lip on it that I used to mount
the steel bar.
     I know Maglite makes a plastic mounting kit for Maglites, but I just knew
these would break off, plus thye are pricey. I went to Home Depot and found
some great metal spring loaded clips that fit the size of the diameter of the
Maglite perfect. These clips come in 3 sizes, I just measured the Maglite and
found the clips that best fit it. These cost $2.27 for 4. I will use only 2.
They also are high enough so that my Maglite will not sit flush when mounted,
so I can grab it easier.
     I went home and drilled 4 more holes in the steel stock, so that I could
mount the clips to it. I used some self tapping sheet metal screws. Each clip,
by the way, has 2 mounting points, one on each side of the spring loaded arm.
I mounted the 2 clips on the metal bar so that one clip is down by the end of
the flashlight, while the other is closer to the top.
I then drilled 4 starter holes in the 4WD bezel, using the steel bar as a
marker where I predrilled the holes and using similar self tapping metal
mechine screws, mounted the steel bar with the clips. I am extremely happy
with this setup, very strong and very handy. I hope I didnt leave anything
out, but let me know if you have any questions. For those of you who 4wheel,
you might just need a flashlight one night, and by having this mount system,
you will always have one handy.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6