Re: brass cap & rotor

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 11:05:50 EST

>has anybody put the accel brass cap and rotor on there dak?? is it any
>batter than a regular?? i want to replace my cap and rotor and was
>wondering if should get the brass or not... if it doesn't make a
>difference than i won't... my truck is a 94 v6, with a 10" fabm,
>magnacore wires, and a cherry bomb muffler, so i don't have a whole lot
>of mods.... will the accel supercoil help either?? well if anybody
>has any expereince with using these products, your input would be
>greatly appreciated....

Iīm not using the Accel parts. I found out I need to use the NAPA brass cap
(rotor makes very little difference) to get any more than 10,000 miles or
so. Iīve got the Accel super coil.

BTW, someone mentioned Accel has an adapter kit. They didnīt when I got my
coil. Iīd already replaced a bad coil with another stock coil, so what I
did was to carve up the old coil on a bandsaw, a lot of work to get the
fancy connector off it! I wired everything up so I can use either the
Accel, or the stock coil. It doesnīt make that much difference. A tad
better mileage, shorter cap contact life, and a bit stronger top end with
the Accel coil, so thatīs what I normally run. Basically have a "hot spare"
ready to go...

I mounted the Accel coil on the firewall immediately above the distributor,
so the other advantage is less loss, and better wet condition tolerance
(the stock coil gets doused in deep water crossings by water thrown back by
the fan).

One thing I donīt like about the Accel coil is that it makes noise.
Physical ticking sound when it fires. Iīm sure it wouldnīt be a problem,
except that itīs on a sounding board (the firewall) that couples right into
the passenger compartment. You can only hear it at idle.

Jim
ī93 4x4 CC V8