Supercharged 4.7

From: Elmer Hanhart (hanharte@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 00:43:24 EST

Alot of my email got erased when my dad was doing some work on the
'puter, so if this has already been discussed just ignore. I was at the
store today and picked up a copy of a Mopar magazine (can't remember the
name). It had a 99 Grand Cherokee "Unlimited" w/ a supercharged 4.7. It
has the Kenne-Bell supercharger, headers and a cat-back, as well as
lowering and 18" wheels. It had some computer gadgets under the hood,
but it wasn't a good enough picture to see what they were. Probably the
Optimizer.It appeared to be a 4wd as there was smoke coming off of the
front tires. It ran a 13.8 @ 96 mph. I'm impressed, if it really is
capable of these numbers. 3 MPG better doesn't hurt either.

 Imagine this same combo in a reg. cab 2wd. Dak. I'm thinkin' same 13.8
w/ a higher mph on street tires (due to no 4wd traction, but less
weight). Slap on some slicks and have a solid low-mid 13 sec. truck w/
good streetability. I am always a little hesitant about new engines,
especially OHC's, but I read a good article on these and they seem
promising. My Uncle and I are going to go test-drive a V8 Grand
Cherokee tommorow, so I can test the new engine/tranny combo. I also may
have a few tips on the new "throttle by wire" systems. Basically, you up
the signal from the pedal to .01 volts away from the current needed to
open the throttle body. This worked to enhance throttle response on my
girlfriends V6 Mustang which uses the same or similar system. No fits
from the car either. Maybe it will work, maybe not. What do you think?

Erich

P.S. Is it just me or do the Jeeps always run suprisingly good in the
magazines (I say this because I've never driven a late model). How much
more do they weight than Daks?