RE:DML RMA vs Cont Prog

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 18:33:29 EST

This is pretty good stuff, but I have some other input that might help.

RMS= Really Moronic System (of measurement)

  This (RMS) is almost an ignorable statistic. The best stat for measuring
speakers it their CP or Continuous Program capability. This sits (roughly) in
the middle of their power band and takes into account where the manufacturer
says the speakers should be run at median signal (hz) and median power for
maximum preformance. A set of 150 Watt CP speakers will waste a set of 150
Watt (RMS) speakers. The RMS speakers will die from thermal or separation at
around 170 Watts whereas the 150 Watt CP speakers can (usually) handle spikes
in power at around 300 Watts. Remember, audio is a lively bouncy thing that
never stays put and signals that do, tend to damage things: including speakers.
   My rule of thumb is to purchase extremely clean amps that are twice the
power of the targeted speakers Continuous Program. If I start to hear
distortion in the sound then I know I am pushing my speakers too hard and can
back the volume down, as the amps only put out distortion at a power level
higher than the CP of the speakers. In this manner I don't risk the speakers
or the amps to blowout.
   There is no hard and fast rule for converting RMS to CP... if the
manufacturer doesn't have a CP rating for the product, you may want to
consider going to a higher classed product or a better manufacturer.
Sometimes they hide the CP ratings in the speakers vital stats area.

Shaun H.