Re: RE: Pioneer (MIKE)

From: Ican2u7176@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 21:34:13 EST

In a message dated 1/25/99 1:22:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, m.gski@CWIX.com
writes:

<< My question is....What is the output voltage supplied to the speakers
 and or amp from the back of the factory Infinity? If it uses a outboard
 amp, I would assume the output is somewhere btwn 200mv and 5.0v...is this
 the case?

I am also installing an amp that requires rca line level inputs. I bought a
speaker level-to-line level adapter from radio shack $19.95 (I just saw one at
Pep boys automotive stores for $14.95:-( ) I am going to tap-in to the rear
factory speakers in my regular cab R/T with the infinity set up... keep in
mind that at least in the regular cab the speaker output is very low, almost
makes me think they are not amplified...at least with the factory amp...maybe
the head unit? thus there should be even less distortion...I think. Also I am
only going to use the amp I bought as a subwoofer amp so hopefully distortion
should be minimal. I feel that the mids and highs are very adequate from the
factory. I am using a 10" sub in in two boxes connected by a pvc tube and a
total of .9 cubic feet behind the seat. Beware...the factory color carpet
(charcoal grey in my truck) is very hard to find. Most "dark Charcoal"
carpets have a "green" tint to them, so you may want to compare the carpet you
have in mind to yours before you buy. As far as the RCA line level stuff
goes...I have a friend who installs , and he says that there is a harness
available(around $15) that plugs onto the factory radio and has the RCA
outputs, but I think that setup would render the factory amp useless and
require more wiring. I will be finishing it sometime this week al I need is a
fuse holder for the engin compartment. I will post some pics on a web site I
will create in the near future... if anyone is interested. I also am waiting
to get some 3" tubing back from a electrical contactor... he is bending it for
me for my air intake set-up I am putting together (total cost under $100
including k&n) I will take pics of that too and list where and how to get all
the parts(most muffler shops cant or dont want to bend 3" tubing... I dont
know why... alot of trucks have 3" exhaust?
Charles Smith
99 Dakota R/T
P.S. By the way...I took my truck in to get the whining tranny and my popping
front end checked out and they told me I'd have to wait a week to get it
checked out and the warranty doesn't cover a rental unless the truck is held
overnight : ( He said "well there is a bus stop right out front...") I guess
I'll be ridin the bus.

sorry so long!