RE: Factory Infinity

From: Michael Guzinski (m.gski@CWIX.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 01:39:54 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet4.buffnet.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@buffnet4.buffnet.net]On Behalf Of jim miller
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 10:46 PM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: Factory Infinity

Michael Guzinski wrote:

I thought by some miracle the Infinity may have supplied the amp with line
level, guess auto manufactures aren't audiophiles....yet.
I knew the system was coming out so I told the dealer to credit it, and pull
it out, they did credit it off the invoice but said it wasn't worth the time
to pull it, and all the speakers and amp so just keep it. They did take off
an extra $500 and some change I think.
It looks like I will be getting the Nakamichi Deck and Changer. The DIN
Head unit will be good with the PPI Half-DIN parametric EQ...It will fill
the entire stock opening.

> This is the kind of arangement FoMoCo used to call Premium Sound. The amp
is
> just a kind of booster and IS driven at speaker level NOT line level. The
> built-in amp in some Infinity head units is small and only puts out about
1 or
> 2 watts per channel, just enough to drive the booster amp. (any more out
of
> the head unit would be a waste). The Delco/Bose also works this way.
ANYWAY
> the quality of sound output from the Infinity head unit is inferior to
most
> head units with RCA type pre amp outputs. Trying to build a great system
> while reusing the oem head unit for stock looks is a waste of time. IMHO!
That
> is why I did not buy any optional sound system because it ALL COMES OUT
When I
> get a veichle. I don't believe any veichle comes with a factory sound
system
> I would be satisfied with. I have been selling and installing car stereos
> since 1968. (8 track days)

Jim in Waco