Offroad etc...

From: Ryan Groth (ryan_groth@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 06:42:38 EST

Weekly, as part of an unrelated hobbie, I will hit roads with
man-eating mud holes and terrain that might as well be continuous
speed bumps. Questions related to these roads:

1) How often are alignments needed to be performed on a Dakota. I came
from a 323 where every 2 months I would have to get an alignment, is
it going to be similiar for the truck? My mechanic said that there
would be virtually no difference in the trucks ability to withstand
bumps then the 323, just that the truck was easier to bring back into
alignment.

2) I was on this road and hit an obsticle (nothing too extreme) but it
was a mud puddle 6 in. deep with about 20 ft to cross, then a bump
into another mudpuddle. My plan of attack was in 4high 2nd gear and to
gun it through the mud puddle and over the bump. Had it been dry
before the bump I would have choosen a slower attack so as to not
"fly" over the bump. Did I do the right thing, or should I have tried
a lower speed/higher torque attack of the mud puddle so as to not kill
my alignment. What is the roll of torque in mud puddles?

3) According to the Daq Faq 31" tires are the max allowed by the old
('96) body style before you get into rubbing problems. On a V6 are the
sacrifices to gas MPG and accelleration acceptable?

Ryan