Re: Lease or Buy-calculated

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 15:10:03 EST

I went to some sites and ran the following numbers through lease and loan
calculators: Vehicle price-$22000 Downpayment-$2500 APR-9%
resale value-$13000 and here were the results
                   Lease(36 mo.) Finance(36) Finance(60)
Monthly Payment 302.43 620.09 404.79

Total cost if keep
truck 26387.48(1) 24823.24(2) 26787.40(3)

Total cost if get
rid of truck 13387.48(4) 11823.24(5) 13787.40(6)(7)

These numbers do not take mileage or undue wear and tear into consideration.
These can add up to quite a bit at lease end.

Whether or not you choose to keep the truck at the 36month point, it still
will cost you less OVERALL to buy than to lease. Lease advantage is lower
monthly payments.

(1) (302.43 X 36) + 2500.00 + 13000.00
(2) (620.09 X 36) + 2500.00
(3) (404.79 X 60) + 2500.00
(4) (302.43 X 36) + 2500.00
(5) (620.09 X 36) - 13000.00
(6) (404.79 X 60) + 2500.00 - 13000.00
(7) Assumes selling truck at 36 mo. and paying of loan balance with sale
    proceeds. Does NOT give prepayment credit which would make this figure
    lower.

Dr. Pat