Re: 94 Dakota Stalls after Fuel Module Change

From: TSFEB@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 05 1999 - 22:08:56 EST

<< Got my fuel pump at Bennett Auto Supply in Jupiter, Florida. Only place
 that had it, too. Everywhere else I called said it was a "dealer only"
 item! ($150 at the dealer)!

The 2 dealers I called wanted $250 for the pump module!! Strange how it
differs to much. The module I bought was still a Carter, but this Carter had
alittle different constructin than the dealer Carter, those went out every
30,000 miles, either the sending unit or the pump itself. The NAPA Carter pump
module is still fine with 43,000 miles on it.

> Although everyone I asked said the filter was on the frame (I even
 bought one for $15 that another auto parts place said would fit), I've
 been all over (and under) that truck and there ISN'T one! Instead, its
 in the tank along with everything else (fuel module). Fortunately, the
 fuel pump came with replacement primary and secondary fuel filters,
 short piece of hose, connector and clamp. So used those, too.

Wow, odd why they changed that in 94, I am SO very glad that mine is on the
frame rail so that I can get to it without dropping the tank, something that
isnt bad, just time consuming! Along with the fuel filter getting very dirty
every 20,000 miles, when I replaced the pump this last time, there was alot of
dirt in the tank as well as it the pump assemly. From what I hear though, dirt
isnt the main cause of a fuel pump going bad, lack of gasoline is. Gas acts as
a lubricator as well as it helps to keep the pump cool. I now rarely let my
tank get to 1/4 tank.

> I think so. Took great care to replace everything in exactly the same
 place/orientation per the instructions (BTW, what is the "clock" the
 instructions refer to re: fuel pump? I put everything back as before,
 but don't have a clue what that's about. Is there a timer to regulate
 flow, or does the pump provide steady flow?).

Not sure what this means

>Yep (disconnecting the battery resets the computer, right)? One reason I
 wanted to take it around the block. The battery has been disconnected a
 few times before, but never ran this rough while the computer relearns.

Yes disconecting the battery is one way to reset the computer, I think most
people say to leave it disconnected for 10 minutes.

>Maybe an injector is clogged??
 Gee, I hope not! But that's what I'm starting to think. Any way to check
 without taking the injector(s) out? >>

Ya know, I am not sure about this. I know a local speed shop offers a serrvice
that returns the injectors to 100% of their stock flow rate. Just have to take
them off and bring them in and pick them up 2-3 hours later. I think the
charge is $70. I am going to do this sometime this year just to make sure they
are clean and operating fine, especially of the miles I have on my Dakota. You
might want to call around your area and see if anyone offers this type of
service. Good Luck!

Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6
100,500 miles