Sluggish First Gear

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 11:34:02 EST

   I've been monitoring this conversation a bit now. I have a 98 SLT+ and it
has the same problem but I was expecting it. The 3.92 gears are actually
pretty good for getting out of the hole but they are awful for gas mileage. I
was more interested in improving fuel economy than pulling drag racing stunts.
 I went to a larger tire: 30 x 9.5 to simulate going to a 3.55 rear end. This
has indeed improved my gas mileage, but made the low end accelleration problem
a tad worse. I don't mind this, but, if you do, here's some suggestions:

Go to a "Shorter" sidewall, drop from a 65 or 75 series down to a 55 or 50
series. This will lower your gear ratio and increase your low speed
preformance: your high speed preformance will suffer though.

Kill the stock Y-Pipe (unless you're in an R/T) as it's very restrictive (this
is my next project).

Open up the air intake: go to either Tony D's system or an FIPK, or a ram air
hood. I like Tony's system cause it pulls cooler air, but others like the
FIPK and some can afford Ram Air (I can't).

   These are probably some of the best alternatives for cheap low end power.
Tires would be great but at those series tires, they aren't cheap. Opening up
the exhaust and intake can be around $250 but it's cheaper than the tires.

Shaun H.