Re: Re[2]: sluggish first gear

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 11:59:21 EST

Try starting in second... with a little practice it works just great if
you're not racing... otherwise 1st is gone way too soon... I used to start
in second all the time with my '96 Ram 1500 CC 5.2L w/ 3.55 gears and
225/75/16 tires... you have same transmission, more gear, about 800-1000 Lbs
less, and probably a smaller tire, so you should have less trouble than I
did, and I had very little...

One thing I did notice is that is was more difficult at first, even just
after resetting the computer... but after the computer re-learned the lower
RPM's, it worked just great... I didn't have a tach in that truck (ST trim)
but it didn't FEEL like I was lugging the engine... they have lots of
torque.

I also used to get 19mpg city, 17 highway... all from short-shifting in the
city... I would still get on it occasionally, but mostly I started in
second, was in 3rd by 15mph, 4th by 25, and 5th by 35 (believe it or not)...
I started about 5 mph above those figures, and gradually moved it down as
the computer learned, and used very little trottle (little required at that
RPM) and it didn't feel like it was lugging...