Re: new email address CABLE MODEMS?

From: Sam Parthemer (maverick_nr552@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 11:58:06 EST

>Are the cable modems worth the extra 10 bucks a month? Can you still
get AOL?

You can still use AOL instant messager, ICQ, etc. Items specific to AOL
service will be lost though. But you can still run MIRC, etc. etc.

>Doesnt the transfer rate depend on the modem on the other end...or are
all
>server modems very fast...much higher than 56.6K?

Yes and no. Most systems you go to are on larger servers fed with T1 or
higher bandwidth connections.

How much faster? I downloaded all of the Microsoft software updates for
WIN98 (19 megs worth) in 8 minutes. It said it would take 6.7 hours
with a 56k dial in.

I'd say it's worth the $10 for that alone.