RE: new email address CABLE MODEMS?

From: Sam Parthemer (maverick_nr552@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 13:31:03 EST

>So what is the total cost to get a cable modem if you already have a
nic
>card. Price of box, monthly fee, and such????

Well, it depends on a couple of things.

1) Is Cable Modem service available in your area? (check with your
   cable company).

2) My monthly rate from @HOME (Cox Communications) runs $39.95 a month,
plus a $10 if you don't currently have cable (I have DSS-DirectTV)...
But you can get basic cable for $13.00... So I pay $53.00
a month, which includes rental of the cablemodem (Don't buy one, as
the technology is changing, and you'd be better to rent it).

3) Some pluses: You get basic cable (they use an inline filter),
but for your Cablemodem it isn't filtered... I split the signal, and
run it to my TV tunercard (in pc) and can watch all 80 something cable
channels (not the HBO, SHO, MAX, etc...but I have that anyway) on my
PC...

4) They charge $150 to install software, a new network card, and the
cabling... If you have your own network card installed, it's $100...
Usually they install an ISA (yuck!) card, so get your own network card
(PCI), and save about $25 overall..plus have a faster network card.

I did it this way, and the software install was nonexistant.. I already
had IE4.01, etc...

Sam '99 RT